A delicious and flavorful blend of crispy noodles and vegetables encased in a yummy sweet and sour sauce, American Chopsuey is addictive and easy to make.
An Indo-Chinese recipe, this is a sure winner on the dinner table!
Indo-Chinese is the favorite cuisine in our household. From fried rice and noodles to all the different soups, we totally enjoy them.
And when we miss India and the food from there, Indo-Chinese tops the list! And American Chopsuey is one of the favorites from there. Something that is so popular there but so hard to find here in the US.
Asian recipes are so popular in India in their own version that certain recipes are probably only found there. These recipes are often spiced with peppers, sweetened and seasoned with all the sauces.
We enjoy them from the street vendors and in so many restaurants. Each place has their own version and this one is a combination of all the flavors I have had in Mumbai.
What is American Chopsuey
An Indo-Chinese recipe with fried noodles, vegetables in a sweet and sour sauce and topped with green scallions; American Chopsuey is a perfect meal for any day.
My fondest memories of this recipe is from a restaurant close to home that would place a heap of fried noodles, a mix of vegetables and sauce with some orange food color and topped with scallions.
The vegetables in the dish were based on season and availability, but the overall taste from the sauce and noodles was unaltered.
A favorite recipe, it took me quite a few trials to get it right. And now, this recipe has a permanent spot on our weekly menu.
I often air fry a large batch of noodles and keep them ready. Then the vegetable mix comes together in under 20 minutes and we have a piping hot meal on the table!
This Recipe of American Chopsuey
- Is super easy to make. The important ingredients include vegetables of your choice, corn starch slurry and some sauces. Together they make a flavorful combination.
- Can be modified and customized based on availability and preferences. Pick and choose the vegetables you have at hand.
- Can be made with store bought chowmein, air fried noodles or deep fried noodles. The result will vary a little based on the choice.
- Is great for a meal. Plus, it is amazing for any party or get together too.
Vegetables: The second ingredient here is mixed vegetables. Use your choice of colorful veggies or stick to the basics.
I like to include peppers, onions, carrots, green beans, cabbage and baby corn. However broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas and asparagus are great to add in the recipe.
We also use some green chili and garlic for spice here. Adjust the quantity based on how spicy you like the dish.
Sauces: A mix of sauces make the American chopsuey flavorful. Tomato ketchup, vinegar and soy sauce are perfect to balance the flavors.
However, add hot sauce if you like the chopsuey spicy. Tomato ketchup is something I would recommend not skipping in this recipe.
Seasonings: As we have so many sauces and aromatics, we need only salt, sugar and black pepper to season the vegetables. And the end result is super amazing! You can add sichuan peppers to the American Chopsuey too if you like.
Sesame Oil: Like most Asian recipes, sesame oil is perfect for the recipe. Not only is it flavorful, it cooks everything really well.
Step by Step Instructions to make American Chopsuey
1- In a pan or wok add sesame oil. Heat it up.
2- Once hot, add garlic. Let it sauté till the raw flavor vanishes.
3- Add onions and peppers and mix well.
4- Then add all the vegetables except cabbage to the wok. Mix and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
5- Add water and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
6- Add green chili (if using); salt, sugar and pepper powder. Mix well.
7- Then season with the sauces and let everything cook for a couple minutes.
8- Next, add the cabbage leaves and mix well.
9- In a cup mix water and corn starch.
10- Pour the slurry in the wok and mix it well.
11- Once the mix starts to get glossy and thick, add chopped scallions and turn down the flame.
12- Finally, in a plate place the fried noodles and top with the vegetable mix. Ensure that you serve it immediately.
Tips and Notes
- Add vegetables of your choice for the recipe. However, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and snow peas would work well in the recipe too.
- Adding some tofu or paneer for protein is a great idea. Though it is not traditional, it would make a great addition.
- Swap air-fried noodles for store bought chowmein for making the recipe easier.
- The American Chopsuey gets soggy super quickly. Enjoy it while it is fresh and warm.
- If making for a party, keep the noodles and vegetable mix separate till ready to serve.
Looking for more Indo-Chinese recipes? Try these favorites:
- Non-fried Manchurian: A delicious treat for Chinese food lovers, this vegetable manchurian is not fried and yet just as delicious as the regular ones!
- Vegetable Fried Rice: Another favorite, this rice recipe is full of vegetables and Asian sauces. It makes a great combination with the manchurian.
- Baked Spring Rolls: These baked spring rolls make a great Indo-Chinese appetizer. It is delicious and yet so easy to make.
- 3 cups air fried noodles
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 5-6 green beans chopped
- 1 pepper sliced thin
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 5-6 babycorn chopped
- ¼ cabbage chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green chili diced
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- In a pan or wok add sesame oil. Heat it up.
- Once hot, add garlic. Let it sauté till the raw flavor vanishes.
- Add onions and peppers and mix well.
- Then add all the vegetables except cabbage to the wok. Mix and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2 ½ cups water and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add green chili (if using); salt, sugar and pepper powder. Mix well.
- Season with the sauces and let everything cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the cabbage leaves and mix well.
- In a cup mix ½ cup water and corn starch.
- Pour the slurry in the wok and mix it well.
- Once the mix starts to get glossy and thick, add chopped scallions and turn down the flame.
- In a plate place the fried noodles and top with the vegetable mix. Serve immediately.