An easy to make ten minute recipe for a snack; these tricolor tea sandwiches are made with two dips and cheese slices.
Serve it with some masala chai or enjoy it with sides and dips for brunch!
Sandwiches are always loved in our family. Whether served with evening tea or as a quick meal, we love various types of sandwiches. From sev puri sandwich and cheese chili toasts to the most popular Mumbai Grilled sandwiches and these tricolor tea sandwiches; we love them all.
Moreover, sandwiches make a great dish to take along for road trips. Most of them keep well for hours, are easy to carry and make a filling snack for everyone.
What is Tricolor Sandwich?
A multilayer sandwich with two different dips, cheese and white bread; this tricolor sandwich is a delicious snack.
I have used a green and an orange dip in this sandwich. This sandwich will have to be an obligatory recipe to make for India's Independence Day or Republic Day party! This is because the Indian flag has the colors saffron, white and green in that order. Learn more about the Indian flag.
Why this recipe works
- These tricolor tea sandwiches are easy to make and comes together in about ten minutes. Plus, with zero cooking time, making them is a true breeze. Even my toddler loves helping in making them!
- These are easy to make Vegan. Just swap regular for Vegan cheese slice. The other ingredients are naturally Vegan.
- I like to use cilantro chutney and muhammara for the recipe as they have the perfect color we are looking for. However, any green and orange color dip work. From basil pesto to green Godess dip and from ketchup mixed with mayo to some tomato chutney; the options are endless.
- These sandwiches are perfect for brunch, tea party or for the lunch box. Moreover, they would be great for a birthday party too.
- Swap the dips to make the sandwiches for a particular theme party. Thus, the recipe is super versatile.
- This sandwich has two layers of dip and cheese. However, adding some sliced vegetables will work too.
Ingredients - Notes and Substitutions
- White Bread: Any soft white bread works here. Wheat bread will be okay too. As we do not toast this sandwich; I prefer to use soft bread for the recipe. Moreover, cutting the edges of the bread is optional. Breads like sourdough are not ideal for this sandwich as we do not toast it. If you would like to make the bread at home, here is a sandwich bread recipe I have posted on the blog.
- Cilantro Chutney: A spicy dip made with cilantro, green chili and spices, I use this for the green color dip in the sandwich. A lot of stores sell it in frozen packets or shelf stable bottles of the same. However, to make it quickly at home, here is an amazing cilantro chutney recipe.
- Muhammara dip: A popular Mediterranean dip, this roasted red pepper and walnut dip is my favorite to get the orange color. This one is available in stores. However,it is easy to make at home too. If you do not have this, replace with garlic and red chili chutney or any carrot based sauce.
- Cheese Slice: Any square slice works for the recipe. I have used pepper jack as it is thick and flavorful. However, refrain from using yellow colored cheese like American cheese as they change the color combination.
See the recipe card for detailed ingredient information, measurements and nutrition.
How to make this recipe
1- Spread two teaspoon of muhammara dip on a slice of bread. Lather another slice of bread with one teaspoon cilantro chutney. Set them aside.
2- Then place a cheese slice on the bread with chutney and cover using the slice with muhammara.
3- Then spread one teaspoon of cilantro chutney on the top of that slice.
4- Place a cheese slice on the chutney covered bread.
5- Spread a teaspoon of muhammara dip on another slice of bread. Place this bread slice on the cheese and chutney bread.
6- Then cut the sandwich into 4 triangles and serve with some chutney and dip. The sandwich is great with some masala chai.
Expert Tips and Notes
- Use any soft white sandwich bread for the recipe. Cut the edges if you like.
- To get a clean cut of the layers, dip a sharp knife in water. Then wipe down the edge before cutting.
- One can butter the bread before starting. However, using butter creates a layer and the bread does not absorb the dips. So mix some butter with the dips to apply if absolutely desired.
- The sandwiches do dry out quickly. Keep them covered with a wax paper and wet napkin till ready to serve.
A small prepared sandwich meant to be eaten with afternoon tea; this is generally made in a way that the sandwich can be eaten in 2-3 bites. The concept originated in UK.
These sandwiches are made to celebrate India's Independence Day which falls on August 15th. So we use the colors of the Indian flag; i.e. saffron, white and green here.
Yes absolutely! Just make them and cover using a wax paper and a wet paper towel and place in the refrigerator till ready to serve.
As these are tea sandwiches; they pair best with some English Tea or Indian Masala Chai. They can however even be served as part of a snack or as an appetizer.
More Sandwich Recipes to try
Love this recipe? Then please leave a star rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like it, consider a review in the comments whilst you are there, thanks!
Tricolor Tea Sandwiches
- 6 slices White bread
- ⅓ cup Green Cilantro Chutney
- ⅓ cup Muhammara Dip
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- Spread two teaspoon muhammara dip on a slice of bread. Lather another slice of bread with one teaspoon cilantro chutney. Set them aside.
- Place a cheese slice on the bread with chutney and cover using the slice with muhammara.
- Spread one teaspoon of cilantro chutney on the top of that slice.
- Place a cheese slice on the chutney covered bread.
- Spread a teaspoon of muhammara dip on another slice of bread. Place this bread slice on the cheese and chutney bread.
- Cut the sandwich into 4 triangles and serve with some chutney and dip. The sandwich is best enjoyed with some masala chai.
- Use any soft white sandwich bread for the recipe. The edges can be cut for a cleaner sandwich.
- To get a clean cut of the layers, dip a sharp knife in water and wipe down the edge before cutting.
- Butter can be applied on the bread before starting. However, using butter creates a layer and the bread does not absorb the dips. So mix some butter with the dips to apply if absolutely desired.
- The sandwiches will dry out quickly. Keep them covered with a wax paper and wet napkin till ready to serve.
Leave a Reply